Re: raid10,f2 Add a Controller: Which drives to move?

Am 12.04.2010 05:41, schrieb Tomáš Dulík:
> Hi,
> I am not sure if I understand your question, but I suppose you will hit
> the problem of udev naming of your disks, and if your disks are
> hotswap-able, then also the problem of hotswap, which is currently
> discussed here in this mailing list.
>
> I have spent too much time trying to solve both these problems with the
> current linux SW RAID (mdadm v. 2.6) and here is the first part of my
> solution:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Persistent_disk_names

I cannot quite understand your problem.  As every part of the array
contains it's own metadata, it doesn't matter to md which /dev/sdX a
drive is.  It might matter a bit for boot-time assembly, but actually
that's what UUIDs are for.

> The page is still not really  finished, I am still playing with my
> server so the documentation must wait.
>

> Michael McCallister napsal(a):
>
>> So with four drives sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd and two controllers C1 and
>> C2, should
>> I go with
>>
>>     C1: sda, sdb
>>     C2: sdc, sdd
>>
>> or
>>
>>     C1: sda, sdc
>>     C2: sdb, sdd
>>
>> or some other configuration?

But I understand yours, Michael.  You would like to put those
RAID0-pieces of your RAID10 each on a single controller.  I believe one
must find out what "NEAR" and "FAR" is.
I'd understand it as: "NEAR" is the closer disk - yeah.  Closer in the
array-tree, or it's logical base-LBA is closer?  Neil, could you please
clarify which is which?