Re: OT: sas controllers/expanders and "desktop" drives?

A couple of years ago, I was managing 2 systems. Both were built with
Supermicro motherboards and chassis and high-end 3ware controllers
(9550sx if I recall correctly). One system was built with
enterprise-class SATA  drives, while the other was built with
desktop-class SATA drives. They were both configured for RAID5.

The system with desktop-class drives occasionally kicked a drive out
of the array. The controller would report that the drive had failed
and then that it was back again a few seconds later, but this was
enough for the controller to kick it out of the array and require a
rebuild.

Caution: one anecdote is not hard data!

Simon