Re: RAID Problem

Neil Brown wrote:
On 16 Mar 2010 18:32:39 -0500
colli419@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hello, I am having problems with my RAID as follows:

I installed the drives in an old computer and created the RAID and it worked great. When I tried to install the same RAID set in a new computer I could get it to mount manually with some messing around but couldn't get it to mount automatically as in the old machine. I was wondering if zeroing the superblocks and trying to re-create the RAID would be a good idea. The data that is stored on the drives should otherwise be intact because I had it running just fine the other day. Any help at all would be most appreciated.

You haven't provides a lot of concrete information, like error messages
during boot or "mdadm -E" output of devices or even kernel/mdadm versions, so
I can only guess, but my guess would be that you can fix it by assembling
the array with "--update=homehost"

i.e.
   mdadm --assemble /dev/mdwhatever  \
   --update=homehost /dev/device1 /dev/device2 ....

My take on hostname is that it causes more users problems than it helps, and that it would have been better as an option to the assemble function for those who actually need that checking. More people have little RAID USB boxes than have some shared storage.

Do *NOT* read this as a suggestion to change, just a comment on it as an example of "unintended results."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we