Re: RAID MIA. Again. (Kinda.)

On 09/03/2010 14:43, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
On Fri, March 5, 2010 3:37 pm, Neil Brown wrote:
mount /dev/md0 /somewhere

??

Sorry this took so long; I've been busy dying from Martian Death Flu. So... I tried what you suggested.

And it worked.

WTF?!

How can you mount something that doesn't show a partition in fdisk?  I'm
-very-, -very- confused here.  Grateful, yes, but confused.  Is this
something I'm just not "getting?"

Yes, I think so. You can potentially make and mount a filesystem on any block device. That could be a whole disc or a partition, or it could be something else. There are various tools for making new block devices over the top of others, for example you can use LVM, md or dm. Then there are yet more tools for making block devices out of other stuff, like loopback and nbd. All these new block devices may in turn be partitioned, but they don't have to be. In fact partitioning is just a simple way of splitting a block device up into other smaller block devices.

Cheers,

John.