VERY slow mdadm recovery speed 12KB/s

I did some musical HDDs to get my "best" drives to hold a critical md
device, then one failed after a power surge. So I bought a new disk
and added it, then accidentally marked it as failed in the middle of
recovery. I then removed the disk and added it again. I got the
message "/dev/sdd re-added to /dev/md1"

When I do a cat /proc/mdstat the recovery speed is at 55KB/s and
subsequent views of /proc/mdstat show that the speed goes all the way
to 12KB/s or lower. I've since removed and re-added the drive a few
times, but the same thing happens every time and if I leave everything
alone while it resyncs, my CPU usage sky rockets to something like
16.8 23.4 40.5.

Any help would be really appreciated as I don't want to loose the
"good" drive. I know both have good speeds, because I can write at
4MB/s to ext4/luks on md1 and 15MB/s on /dev/sdd with dd.

P.S. could someone also explain to me the difference between md0 and md_d0?