Re: I am an idiot (power failure during chunk resize, no backup file)

On 4 March 2010 12:25, Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alex Boag-Munroe wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys...
>>
>> Yes I am an idiot.  I was changing the chunk size of my RAID5 array
>> last night from 64kb to 256kb and left it running overnight.  During
>> the night we had a power outage.
>>
>> This is where the idiot part comes in.  The backup file is on a
>> filesystem that's part of the RAID5 array, so obviously I am unable to
>> start it.  I completely forgot the filesystem I specified for
>> --backup-file was part of the same array.
>>
>> Once you're all done pointing and laughing, can you let me know if I
>> am totally screwed?  I've a lot of data here that I -really- don't
>> want to lose...
>>
>> Please help..
>>
>> Idiot.
>>

> Firstly I will say that I have never faced this situation, so please wait
> for someone more knowledgeable to reply before trying.
>
> Supposing the resync cannot be continued after a power failure (which I am
> not sure)...
>
> My idea is that the reshape progresses linearly so one of the two
> filesystems (either the original one or backup) should be accessible. If the
> power failed when the reshape was within the first filesystem, the second
> filesystem should be somehow accessible, if it failed when the reshape was
> within the second filesystem, the first filesystem should be somehow
> accessible.
>
> In this situation I guess you need to go to the hard route: you will
> probably need to recreate the array with all the drives specified exactly in
> the same order, using all the original options (you can get info from every
> drive with mdadm --examine /dev/sdXY), and the chunksize either set at 64k
> or at 256k (you try both), and specifying --assume-clean so that it does not
> start to resync, and then set it --readonly before doing anything else. Then
> you will probably be able to do some experiments try mounting one of the two
> filesystems.
>
> Thinking again, I guess there is a situation which will prevent you to see
> both filesystems... this is the case if 64kb prevents you to see the good
> filesystem and 256k prevents you to see the LVM metadata :-( You use LVM
> right? In this case you might need to "find" your filesystem by mounting the
> device with progressively increasing offsets from the beginning, without the
> help of LVM. And this will work only if your good partition in LVM was
> contiguous (LVM allows holes).
>
> Anyway, wait other replies.
>
> Good luck
>
> Asdo

Hi Asdo.

Yes I am using LVM.  I'm not entirely sure how to go about messing
with the mounting as you describe, I've never had to do it.  Is this
with the mount command?  I do keep getting an error from lvm,
"incorrect metadata area header checksum", with both chunk=64 and
chunk=256 during the recreate.

Thank you for your reply.

--
Alex Boag-Munroe

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.