Re: RAID partition starting sector (... 63?)

"Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Kristleifur> Starting on sector 64 feels conceptually "prettier" than
> Kristleifur> Sector 63, but I can't picture the case where it behaves
> Kristleifur> any different. Except perhaps when GRUB expects stuff to
> Kristleifur> begin at sector 63, making a mess if we're starting at
> Kristleifur> sector 64. Though it *should* work OK, of course.
>
> The alignment only matters if your underlying storage is using a block
> size bigger than 512 bytes internally.  Common examples of that would be
> one of the new SATA drives with 4KB physical blocks or a hardware RAID
> device.

Or disks (flash, SSD, ...) with 64k erase block size.

Newer windows starts the first partition at 1M, which gives good
alignment in nearly every situation. Raids usualy have a chunk size
between 4k and 1M so they align too.

For grub(2) it can make a difference to start the first partition later
as it then has more space for its second stage.

MfG
        Goswin