Re: Map Block number from hdd to md

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:34:38 +0200, Keld Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:57:00AM +0100, Michael wrote:
>> Hi Keld,
>>
>> if you do a smartctl -A on /dev/sdX you sould see something under
>> Current_Pending_Sector and Offline_Uncorrectable.
>> Your hard drive replaces the bad blocks with spare blocks as far as you
>> are write something to them.
>>
>> i have solved the resync issue by using
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=<bad-block-number> count=1
>>
>> you can test the block number to be really bad by
>> dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/null bs=512 skip=<bad-block-number> count=1
>> if that command causes a input/output error, the block is bad.
>
> Yes, that cleared some errors, but unfortunately not all.
> That is one divice had 72bad blocks beforehand, and 44 afterwaeds, and
> the other had 9 beforehand, and 5 after.
>
> The second dd command actuallly did not report any bad blocks, but a
> selective badblocks command did.
strange. if the 2nd command is working, you can recover the data and write
it back. i have heard about bad blocks that are "sometimes" bad, and other
times not. iam not sure.

> Anyway, is there something about Samsung disks not having spare blocks
> for this?

Model Family:     SAMSUNG SpinPoint F1 DT series
Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD103UJ
that's my disk, and it has spare blocks.
check smartctl -A /dev/sdX for Current_Pending_Sector and
Offline_Uncorrectable

> yes, I still would like to find the inode in the raid file system from
> the bad block on a physical disk.

yeah, me to.