Re: Why does one get mismatches?

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:14:44PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> > This whole discussion simply shows that for RAID-1 software RAID is less
> > reliable than hardware RAID (no, I don't mean fake-RAID), because it
> > doesn't pin the data buffer until all copies are written.
>
> That doesn't make it less reliable.  It just makes it more confusing.

I agree that linux software RAID is no less reliable than
hardware RAID with regards to the above conversation.  It's
however confusing to have a counter that indicates there are
problems with a RAID 1 array when in fact there is not.

I (and I'm sure others) value your expertise on this matter, but
it's hard to feel at ease when the car you're driving across the
country has the check engine light on.  In this case, I believe the
mechanic when you say the car is okay, but it might be difficult
for others to believe as I do.

I rely heavily on software RAID as I'm sure many others are.  I
believe this is quite evident in the amount of email that has been
circulated about the mismatch_cnt "problem".  IMO, a users perception
of reliability is really the root of the problem in this case. No
one who depends on this stuff wants to see weakness.  Those who
do are going to be concerned.  Especially those who are running
distributions such as RedHat/Fedora that do weekly checks on the
arrays.

Neil, you had mentioned some time ago that you were going to
create a patch that would show where the mismatches were located
on disk.  Did you do this and if so where can I find the patch?

Bryan