Re: Fw: Why does one get mismatches?

Jon Hardcastle wrote:
--- On Tue, 19/1/10, Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Why does one get mismatches?
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, 19 January, 2010, 10:04
Hi,

I kicked off a check/repair cycle on my machine after i
moved the phyiscal ordering of my drives around and I am now
on my second check/repair cycle and it has kept finding
mismatches.

Is it correct that the mismatch value after a repair was
needed should equal the value present after a check? What if
it doesn't? What does it mean if another check STILL reveals
mismatches?

I had something similar after i reshaped from raid 5 to 6 i
had to run check/repair/check/repair several times before i
got my 0.

Guys,

Anyone got any suggestions here? I am now on my ~5 check/repair and after a reboot the first check is still returning 8.

All i have done is move the drives around. It is the same controllers/cables/etc
I really dont like the seeming random nature of what can/does/has caused the mismatches?

If you have an ext[34] filesystem on this array, try mounting it data=journal (yes it will slow down, this is a TEST). I did limited testing using this, and it appeared to solve the problem, at least for eight hours I had to test.

Comment: when there is a three way RAID-1, why doesn't repair *vote* on the correct value instead of just making a guess?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we