Re: [[Patch mdadm] 2/5] Move the files mdmon opens into /dev/ to support handoff after pivotroot

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:58:52 -0900 (AKST)
>> "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>>       But that said ,  the idea of a /'name' area for this is imo a very good
>>> thing .  Rather hiding it below others .
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> One idea that has occurred to me is that maybe /sys is the right place to put
>> this stuff!!!  If only sysfs directories could be writeable, I could write the
>> pid file in /sys/class/block/md0/md/mdmon.pid and create a socket with a
>> similar name.
>
> Hmm... we already have /sys/kernel/debug as a simple mount point for
> debugfs.  What about adding /sys/kernel/init as a mount point for this
> tmpfs?
>
> --
> Dan
> --

Except that isn't quite accurate is it?  This is less to do with init
for the kernel and more to do with various pieces of system state
information.

/sys/early_rw

Isn't very descriptive, but might make sense.  It also might not quite
be what we want to mean, as the files in it could also linger past
root unmount as the system is brought down.