Re: [[Patch mdadm] 2/5] Move the files mdmon opens into /dev/ to support handoff after pivotroot

	Hello Doug ,

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Doug Ledford wrote:
On 02/08/2010 09:19 PM, martin f krafft wrote:
...snip...
I am all for finding a solution that works, but I don't think it's
as easy as "the standards are slow, so let's just forge ahead with
mdadm only and give them something to standardise".

I wouldn't mind avoiding all the bikeshedding, and maybe it'll just
work, but having to change things later might possibly be a lot of
trouble ? after all, we don't want to break people's systems then.

I don't think so.  Once it's all set up, any future change should be no
more than a coordinate package update cycle where initscripts, mkinitrd,
dracut, and a few other select packages that use the locations are all
updated simultaneously.

	The key words in the above are: 'select packages' & 'simultaneously' .
	How is the community of linux distributors going to accomplish this ?
Heck some of the distributors don't even use the same names for packages that do exactly the same thing .

	The Simultainity is going to hurt alot more than is mentioned here .

But that said , the idea of a /'name' area for this is imo a very good thing . Rather hiding it below others .

		Tia ,  JimL