Re: Disk I/O error while rebuilding an md raid-5 array

Hi!

I do RAID-recoveries at least once a month and get paid for it.  Rule of
thumb: if your have one drive dropped and another one with pending
sectors, your rebuild will fail - no need for calculations there.

ddrescue on a clean disk is about half as fast as dd with a blocksize
beyond 1M.  ddrescue on a disk with pending sectors is just no pita as
dd or sg_dd would be, because it adds the neccesary intelligence.

Do you have the original sde still around?  If yes, ddrescue both: sdb
and sde.  My experience says: there will only be a few KB lost.  Then
re-create your raid (it will only write the superblock new) with
"--assume-clean".  After that worked, you might make another (big)
backup first, then run fsck and see what happens.  If the lost bytes
have screwed the filesystem, you might want to re-create the raid with
another (personally I prefer xfs) fs and replay your backup into it.

A few commands to make the intentions cleaner:
ddrescue -dv -r5 /dev/oldsdb1 /dev/newsdb1 /root/sdblog
ddrescue -dv -r5 /dev/oldsde1 /dev/newsde1 /root/sdelog
... find out which drive is which raid-device -> mdadm -E /dev/sdX1
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=4 --level=5
--chunk=${your_chunk_size_in_kb} --assume-clean
${ordered_list_of_raid_devices}

Hope this helps,
Stefan Hübner