Re: Disk I/O error while rebuilding an md raid-5 array

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Dawning Sky <the.dawning.sky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now I have two faulty drives and things don't look good.  However, I
> was able to add the sdb back to the array and md seemed not mind and
> still reported "active sync".  At this point I shut down computer and
> decided to clone sdb with clonezilla so that I can have a good sdb to
> finish rebuilding sde.  Not sure if it will complete without I/O
> errors.  It appears clonezilla is using dd and the speed is extremely
> slow (~5MB/sec) and it says it's gonna take 1 day to clone the 500GB.

As expected, dd encountered the same UNC error.  Now I'm trying to
ddrescue the drive to see what happens.  My question is whether this
is worth doing.  Assuming ddrescue cannot read the bad sector either
and writes 0's to the new drive, will I be able to rebuild the raid-5,
from 2 good disks and this disk with a bad sector?  I can assume there
will be a bad file but will the array still function?

Or I'm better off just build a new array from scratch.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

DS