Re: [[Patch mdadm] 2/5] Move the files mdmon opens into /dev/ to support handoff after pivotroot

Doug Ledford wrote:
On 02/01/2010 05:42 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:

In other words, it's not where you put it, it's where you *didn't* put
it, that seems to be an
invitation to put stuff just anywhere. Neil argues that they are not
devices, I argue that
they are PIDs. It's not as though it were a huge effort to move it after
pivot root, it's a little code
or script and in space which will be released.

On the pid files I see your point.  Not that it changes the problem, but
it does at least point out that more needs to be done and that the
current solution is incomplete.

Good, and your point about context and such is well taken. I still feel that the way to solve this would be to copy *just* the PID files to a real /var/run and any directories being created would have default permissions. It just feels as if there's a single point at which this could be done. And of course "if you broke it, you should fix it." That's a popular thing Linus said, but the principle dates back to MULTICS, at least (70's).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we