Re: [[Patch mdadm] 2/5] Move the files mdmon opens into /dev/ to support handoff after pivotroot

On 02/01/2010 03:32 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Doug Ledford wrote:
>> On 01/18/2010 05:09 PM, Neil Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I understand there is a problem here, but I don't like this approach
>>> to a
>>> solution.  I'll give it more though when I get home from LCA2010 and see
>>> what I can come up with.
>>>

>> Feel free to come up with something different.  But, if your solution
>> involves maintaining an additional read/write mount area in deference to
>> a long dead unix tradition, I'm just going to shake my head and patch
>> your solution away to something sane.
>>

> I don't understand you argument here. Not the one where you say you're
> going to ignore Neil and do what you want because you can, I understand
> that, but the "additional read/write mount area" part, isn't /var/run
> r/w on all systems now? Could you clarify why this is "additional" here?

It's not necessarily read/write in the initrd time frame, and putting
the mdadm files there means it would have to be.  We didn't make these
changes because we wanted to, we made them because using mdadm raid
arrays for the root filesystem combined with incremental assembly or
with imsm raid devices was broken otherwise.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at