Re: Read errors on raid5 ignored, array still clean .. then disaster !!

Asdo wrote:
Giovanni Tessore wrote:
Maybe would be useful to have unrecoverable read errors on degraded array to:
1) sent a big alert to admin, with detailed info
2) don't fail the disk and whole array, but set it into readonly mode
3) report read errors to the OS (as for a single drive)

I think if you set it to readonly mode, it wouldn't degrade further even on read error. I think I saw this from the source code, but now I'm not really sure any more.
Do you want to check?

I had by sure to recreate the degraded array some times because of going down while reading from defective sectors. I'm not sure if always I set array to readonly (because I was quite in panic) ... but I'd guess I did.
I'll try to look into the code.

This has been my first bad experience with raid, I never had to go deep inside maintenance mode or to look into source code .. but I had to learn fast ;-)

--
Cordiali saluti.
Yours faithfully.

Giovanni Tessore