Re: Read errors on raid5 ignored, array still clean .. then disaster !!

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:14:25PM +0100, Giovanni Tessore wrote:
To use a hot spare if available seems to me a very good idea.
About the metedata version, I was quite disappointed to see that the default when creating the array is still the 0.9 (correct me if newer distros behave differently), which does not persist info about the corrected read errors.
it was changed in mdadm 3.1.1

Into a previous post I suggested to let at least the admins to be conscious of the sistuation:

I think it's also a mess for the image of the whole linux server community: try to explain to a customer that his robust raid system, with 6 disks plus 2 hot spares, just died because there were read errors, which were well kwnown by the system; and that now all his valuable data are lost!!! That customer may say "What a server...!!!", kill you, then get a win server by sure!!

Oh, please, stop trolling.

L.
--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx