Stupid question regarding RAID-1 access pattern

Tried to ferret out the answer to this myself and so far so bad.

This just 'popped in there' while I was optimizing something completely different... in a RAID-1, writes have to be mirrored of course, thats what RAID-1 is, but for reads, could they not be sped up by a significant amount if a storage pattern was chosen such that large blocks of data were "striped" in an in-order/out-of-order scheme? In other words, store all the data on both drives, but in huge (2x cache size) -ish blocks that might allow 50% of a given [large] access to come from each drive, with trivial [smaller] reads always coming from one or the other chosen at random.

Downside, I know, is that the data would be organized ina way only the raid subsystem would understand, so the niceness of pulling a mirrored drive out of service and it being a literal copy of the otehr drive would be lost, but for such a speedup I'd be willing to pay the price of always having to access it as a failed set (worst case) through the md-daemon.

Am I off into the weeds?

-Curt