Re: RAID5 / 6 Growth

Do any of the disks report sector errors or ATA or read errors?
smartctl -a /dev/sdx should give the report, assuming you run smartd
and have it probe disks periodically.

I've seen newer versions of the xfsprogs and libs packages. Try using
those. I know you're against new packages that haven't been included
in "stable" -- but if this is a dev/backup system, it's worth the shot
in my opinion.

Good luck.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, the RAID growth completed on the backup system, but now when I attempt
> to mount the XFS file system, mount returns the error "mount: Structure
> needs cleaning".  When I issue the xfs_repair command, I get this:
>
> Backup:/boot/grub# xfs_repair -v /dev/md0
> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
>        - block cache size set to 28616 entries
> Phase 2 - using internal log
>        - zero log...
> zero_log: head block 38584 tail block 38504
> ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
> be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
> re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
> the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
> Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
> of the filesystem before doing this.
>
>        The file system was shut down cleanly with umount prior to starting
> the growth, but xfs still seems to think the file system is dirty and the
> journal needs to be replayed.  Running xfs_repair with the -n command shows
> the file system has a few errors.  Before I purge the log and potentially
> lose a few files, is there something else I should try under mdadm to
> possibly fix teh array structure?  (I doubt it, but I wanted to check with
> others more knowledgeable than I before I proceed.)
>
> --

       Majed B.