Re: Question for Neil/Superblocks

On 11/27/2009 04:27 PM, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> A couple of things, recently I tried to make a new system
> (MDADM/latest/SW RAID1) and noticed that GRUB & LILO still only support
> 0.90 superblocks. This leads me to my next question.
>
> Will the newer superblocks be supported? I ask this due to my final
> question.

Not by grub or lilo, which are both dead projects.  However, grub2 does
support newer superblocks and we actually ship it in F12.

> With 0.90 superblocks, I have never seen any array (raid1,raid5,raid6)
> try to correct a read-error, but when I made an array with 1.2
> superblocks (not the boot volume of course) using VelociRaptors, great
> for testing crap disks that don't work in read, I did see it try to
> correct read errors!  I was wondering if that is only applicable to
> superblocks >= 1.x+?

Coincidence.

> I know you can build yourself an initrd/miniroot so/on/so forth but its
> nice when you can just build a kernel, run lilo and have it auto-detect
> the raid1 volumes and boot accordingly (as you can with 0.90 superblocks).

The hack in lilo that allows it to do this is a very ugly hack.  It is
not even close to proper raid1 boot support.  I would look into grub2.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at