Re: [ANNOUNCE] mdadm-3.1 has been withdrawn

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Bill Davidsen wrote:

I like 1.2, I feel it's least likely to suffer collateral damage, and the problems it causes seem to result in the type of behavior you mention aboue, the system says "Can't, won't, you don't know what you're doing."

What about adding a new v1.3 superblock which basically has 4 superblocks, an old 1.x superblock residing at <end>-<v1.0 superblock size> (new location), and then pointers to this block residing where 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 superblocks would normally be? Wouldn't that solve "everybodys" problem by making it easier to find the superblock regardless of what might have happened (drive size changed because of 3ware, someone installed mbr on the drive etc).

Is it because it's early in the morning and I haven't had coffee, or is that starting to sound like raid-1 with superblocks? I just have to feel that it would increase the chances of something "looking like" a superblock, but wasn't. Then we could have reshape of superblocks in --grow, all in all that idea feels as though it's inviting them to be different. Imagine an array with partitions, each of which is in an array (like raid-1+0) with superblocks everywhere.

I'm sure other people will have thoughts on this, but given the problems we have with mismatch_cnt in mirrors, I wouldn't trust them to stay the same. And all would have to be updated, of course, makes for much disk writing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we