Re: need help: corrupt files on one of my raids

Hi Michael and Majed!

Thank you very much for your help!

One good fellow in Australia reqognized my motherboard as the source of my problems. And sent me this privately as he does not has write-permissions to the list:

As Tony writes - my problems started when I connected the seccond drive and started raiding it. The raid5 volumes is on two separate promise-ide controllers so that's the reason I have no problems with that.

Tony wrote:
> Hi Arild -
>
> Greetings from Australia...
>
> As I only have read access to the Raid List - I hope you do not mind my
> replying to you directly.
>
> I understand that you are using a Abit NF7 motherboard with two Onboard
> Silicon Image 3112 SATA ports (which makes it a NF7-S)  to which are
> connected two  SATA drives - and you are having data corruption problems
> with these particular drives.
>
> This is a known problem with this motherboard. If you connect only one
> drive - no problem. However, connect two - and you have problems!
>
> I actually have one of these motherboards and to solve the problem I
> disabled the Onboard SATA and installed a SATA controller in one of the
> PCI slots. It was the quickest and easiest solution. I needed more than
> two SATA ports anyway - so wasn't a problem. Just installed a 4 port card.
>
> If you search on the Internet there are a number of discussions on this
> - examples - just a very quick search.
> You may find a good fix - I took the easy way out!
>
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-5278-SATA-RAID-data-corruption-problem-update.html
>
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/image-vp65255.html
> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/103163-30-bios-update-problem
>
> Good Luck,  Tony

Thanks you very much for all the help.

Best Regards,

Arild

Michael Evans wrote:
One other thing besides what's already been mentioned.  You are seeing
issues with Raid1 and -not- your Raid5 volume.  If you run mdadm -D
/dev/md(whatever the number is) what version (for the superblock) is
reported?  Preferably you will be using either superblock 1.1 or 1.2
(preferably 1.1).  The only reason to use mdadm 1.0 or 0.9 are special
cases, such as for /boot style volumes.