Re: need help: corrupt files on one of my raids

Either your motherboard doesn't support SMART or worse, your disks
don't support SMART.

I have a bunch if Hitachi disks that don't support SMART, which is
very bad since I can't monitor their health status.

Download the disk's manual and check if it has S.M.A.R.T. capabilities
in it. To read more & understand what S.M.A.R.T. is, check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

While I was searching for your disk model, I noticed a couple of links
complaining from disk failures. I didn't see whether the disk itself
has SMART or not.

You might want to check your motherboard's manual for SMART support as well.

P.S.: Use reply-all ;)

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Arild Langseid <arild@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> creator:~#
>

> Is "smart" something I has to enable?
>
> I have checked my bios, and did not find anything regarding smart there.
>
> Best Regards,
> Arild
>

> Majed B. wrote:
>>
>> If you have smartmontools installed, run smartctl -a /dev/sdx
>>
>> Look for any number that is bigger than 1 on these:
>> Reallocated_Event_Count
>> Current_Pending_Sector
>> Offline_Uncorrectable
>> UDMA_CRC_Error_Count
>> Raw_Read_Error_Rate
>> Reallocated_Sector_Ct
>> Load_Retry_Count
>>
>> You may not have some of these. That's OK.
>>
>> If you don't have the package, install it, configure it to run short
>> tests daily & long tests on weekends (on idle times).
>> To run an immediate long test, issue this command: smartctl -t offline
>> /dev/sdx
>>
>> Note: An offline test is a long test and may take up to 20 hours. An
>> offline test is required to get the numbers for the parameters above.
>>
>> If you're using ext3 filesystem, it would have automatically checked
>> for bad sectors on the time of formatting the volume.
>>
>> I would also suggest you run a fsck on your filesystems.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Arild Langseid <arild@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I have a strange problem with corrupted files on my raid1 volume. (A
>>> raid5
>>> volume on the same computer works just fine).
>>>
>>> One of my raids (md1) is a raid1 with two 1TB sata drives.
>>> I am running lvm on the raid and have two of the volumes on the raid are:
>>> /dev/vg0sata/lv0_bilderArchive
>>> /dev/vg0sata/lv0_bilderProjects
>>> (For your info: "bilder" in Norwegian is "pictures" in english)
>>>
>>> What I want:
>>> I want to use the lv0_bilderArchive to store my pictures unmodified and
>>> lv0_bilderProjects to hold my edited pictures and projects.
>>>
>>> My problem is:
>>>
>>> My files are corrupted. Usually the files (crw/cr2/jpg) are stored ok,
>>> but
>>> is corrupted later when new files/directories is added to the volume.
>>> Sometimes the files are corrupted instantly at save-time.
>>>
>>> I discovered this first when copying from my laptop to the server via
>>> samba.
>>> By testing I have found that this behavour also applies when I copy local
>>> on
>>> the server from raid5 (md0) to the faulty raid1(md1) with cp -a.
>>>
>>> I have tested with both reiserfs and ext3 filesystem. The file-corruption
>>> happens on both reiserfs and ext3.
>>>
>>> One of my test-procedures was as follows:
>>> 1. copied 21 pictures localy to the root of the lv0_bilderProjects
>>> volume.
>>> First 10 pictures, then 11 more by cp -a. All pictures survived and was
>>> stored non-corrupted.
>>> 2. Then I copied a whole directory-tree with cp -a to the
>>> lv0_bilderProjects
>>> volume. Many pictures was corrupted, a few stored ok. All small

       Majed B.