Re: Intel Updates SSDs, Supports TRIM, Faster Writes

Thank you Mathieu for the input.

I have seen IBM DS4800 SANs doing 600MB/s-700MB/s using a bunch of
148GB 15k RPM FC disks. though I haven't seen them being benchmarked
for IOPS.

I was reading an article from AnadTech yesterday that compared
rotational media to SSDs and they ran some stress tests. In the end,
they concluded that hardware RAID controllers were hampering the
performance because they couldn't absorb the amount of requests coming
at them from the SSDs. When they switched to software RAID (on Windows
in their test), they got almost double the performance (RAID5, 8
disks).

You can see the numbers here: http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3532&p=9
If you're interested in the whole article, you can go to the link
above and go back to the main page using the index.

On sequential read, they achieved 1257 MB/s on a RAID 5 setup. Quite
impressive for those with video streaming applications.

--
       Majed B.