Re: Intel Updates SSDs, Supports TRIM, Faster Writes

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 09:18 -0700, Chris Worley wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Majed B. <majedb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Which disks can provide 2ms response with a read of 250 MB/s and write
> > of 170 MB/s other than SSDs?!
>
> The drives I use average <50usecs latency at 4KB packets (properly
> measured as the complete turn-around time of a single outstanding
> I/O), 800MB/s reads and >600MB/s writes at 128KB blocks.
>

> > Are you saying that it doesn't matter whether we use Linux or Windows
> > with SSDs because the limitation is coming from the disk's controller
> > itself?
>
> To some degree, yes, when using SSD's behind a controller, the
> controller is the biggest performance issue, and given they use
> chicklets for processors, they all hamper performance given the speed
> potential of the underlying storage.
>
> As none of the enterprise distros are handling TRIM yet, W7 can claim
> it was first, and putting together a TRIM-capable kernel is manual
Except it wasnt, it may be earlier than the enterprise distros, but
thats not first.
> currently in Linux, and given only ext4 supports it (strangely, FAT
> supported it, then the code was pulled... XFS may support it, but I
> believe that's still in the works), you have the additional problem
> that ext4 has some maturity issues.  Porting "discard" to ext2/3 would
> not be too difficult, especially w/o journal considerations.
And given W7 supports it, it is going to have the same issues which
linux faces, i dont know what solution microsoft has chosen, but that
doesnt mean linux shouldnt choose the best one..