Re: IDE/RAID/AHCI setting in BIOS influcencing mdraid?

Hello,

I won't be able to answer all your questions, but I can help with some:

1) Each mode in the BIOS makes the devices behave differently. AHCI
always improves performance for disks. My laptop was on IDE and its
max throughput was 11 MB/s. When enabling AHCI, I got 30-35 MB/s out
of the poor disk (5400 rpm).

1 & 2) Intel storage matrix is fake RAID and its driver is horrible &
slow. Avoid it like the plague!
You'd be better off with software RAID or a hardware controller.

3) As far as I know, whenevr you create an array (in any way --
software or hardware), array information is written to the disks, so
when you switch from software RAID to hardware RAID, you may lose your
array information, depending on where the information is written
(beginning of the disk or at the end of it) -- if you have a
filesystem already in place, that may be lost too.
The above is also correct if you tried to create a new software RAID
array but with a different superblock version (0.9 vs 1.x), since
array information is written differently.

A quote from the mdadm manual:
"1, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2: Use the new version-1 format superblock.  This has
few restrictions.  The different sub-versions store the superblock at
different locations on the device, either at the end (for 1.0), at the
start (for 1.1) or 4K from the start (for 1.2)."

       Majed B.