Re: About seting up Raid5 on a four disk box.

On Tue Oct 13, 2009 at 09:13:13AM -0400, Antonio Perez wrote:

> 1.- Should the "rest of the disk" be only one partition?
> I have read that making several partitions and setting several md disks:
> 	sd[a..d]2 --> md1
> 	sd[a..d]3 --> md2
> 	sd[a..d]4 --> md3
> would help with the rebuild time of each md, which sounds correct. It is
> also proposed that the md on the outer area of the disk would be faster
> allowing for better control of performance, assigning faster mds to the more
> used filesystems.
>
> However, and this I don't know, those sda[2..4] are not really different
> devices (spindles) and reads to one md would conflict (or not?) with reads
> to the other mds.

Any reads to the same disk will conflict - whether they're on separate
arrays or within a single array shouldn't make any difference (the IO
elevator is set on the disk rather than the array, so I assume it will
gather requests across all arrays).  md itself knows that the arrays
share disks, so will ensure any maintenance tasks (resyncs, etc) only
run on a single array at a time.

> 2.- On the Raid 1: How many sectors to copy? 63?
> On an update of grub code, core.img could change, which means that the first
> 63 sectors (to be on the safe side) of the disk which gets the update should
> be copied to the other 3 disks.
> Or is it that the md code would mirror sectors 1-62 and only the MBR needs
> to be manually mirroed?

Not sure what you mean here.  If you have /boot on a RAID1 array then
it's mirrored, so the stage1.5 and stage2 bootloaders get mirrored via
that.  The stage1 bootloader is usually installed into the MBR, so only
that needs replicating separately.

> 2.- Is there a recomended way to trigger the said copy of question 2?
> Where should a call to copy the MBR should be placed? On update-grub?

I always just rerun the grub install for each disk manually (see
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/008898.html
for example).  Automating it will depend on your distribution - if
update-grub is what's called after a grub update (and it isn't
overwritten by the update) then this would seem the logical place to do
it.

HTH,
    Robin

--