Re: About seting up Raid5 on a four disk box.

Robin Hill wrote:

> On Tue Oct 13, 2009 at 09:13:13AM -0400, Antonio Perez wrote:
[snip]
>> However, and this I don't know, those sda[2..4] are not really different
>> devices (spindles) and reads to one md would conflict (or not?) with
>> reads to the other mds.

> Any reads to the same disk will conflict - whether they're on separate
> arrays or within a single array shouldn't make any difference

Perfect, you understood exactly what I was asking, thanks.

> (the IO elevator is set on the disk rather than the array, so I assume
> it will gather requests across all arrays).  md itself knows that the
> arrays share disks, so will ensure any maintenance tasks (resyncs, etc)
> only run on a single array at a time.

Clear explanation, thanks.

Then, the two consequences of dividing disks in several md are correct:

1.- Will improve rebuild time, as each md is smaller.
2.- Will allow to control if the md is in the outside (faster) disk area.

Am I understanding you correctly?

>> 2.- On the Raid 1: How many sectors to copy? 63?
>> On an update of grub code, core.img could change, which means that the
>> first 63 sectors (to be on the safe side) of the disk which gets the
>> update should be copied to the other 3 disks.
>> Or is it that the md code would mirror sectors 1-62 and only the MBR
>> needs to be manually mirroed?

> Not sure what you mean here.  If you have /boot on a RAID1 array then
> it's mirrored, so the stage1.5 and stage2 bootloaders get mirrored via
> that.  The stage1 bootloader is usually installed into the MBR, so only
> that needs replicating separately.

There are two areas of interest:

1.- The "Boot disk area" including the MBR.:
On the usual (at least for me) partition scheme, the first cylinder*,
Sectors (LBA) 0-62 [CHS 0/0/1 to 0/0/63] of the disk are left empty, except
for sector 0, a.k.a. MBR. That is called the disk boot area.
Grub uses the sector 0 as the MBR and several sectors following it to embed
the booting code: core.img.

2.- The "partition boot area":
There is also an empty space at the beginning of each partition of 63
sectors. The first partition uses (LBA) 63-125 [CHS 0/1/0 to 0/1/63] for the
"partition boot area" therefore restoring alignment on the disk heads.