Re: About seting up Raid5 on a four disk box.

Antonio Perez wrote:
Majed B. wrote:

Your applications can request as much files as they want regardless of
their location, but the mechanical heads move together, so they can be
at a single location at a point of time reading a single stream of a
file (or multiple files if they were next to each other on the
physical platter).

Yes that's completely correct, and it's the job of the "elevator" (*) on the "md" code to decide which sector, and in what order, such sectors will be serviced. If the "elevator" is aware of the underlying hardware, it will do the right thing if there are several md or just one.

The elevator is part of disk access, not md. It schedules head motion for all users of the drive.

*(I am not an expert on this, is just what I got from Robin)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 Unintended results are the well-earned reward for incompetence.