Re: Port Multipliers

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Richard Scobie <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Doug Ledford wrote:
>> I agree with this sentiment 100%.  I don't have a good answer for why  it
>> topped out where it did, and that's one of the things I'm still  trying to
>> get an answer to.
>
> I can also confirm this sub par performance on the Sil 3124 - max throughput
> of around 120MB/s.
>
> If your motherboard is able to set the "PCIe Max Payload Size" you may be
> able to improve things.
>
> See Note 3 here:
>
> http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status#Silicon_Image_3124

Another one here with a Sil3124 and max 120MB/s.

With the port multiplier I've got, I've had to disable NCQ to get
things to behave when accessing multiple drives - otherwise access to
the enclosure would lock up under moderate/heavy concurrent disk
access.

The multipler appears to be a Sil4726.  The array was built on a
budget so the drives in the multiplier are a mix of drives - some are
1.5Mbps, some are 3.0Mbps and not all support NCQ.  Not sure how it
behaves with 100% NCQ capable drives.

-Dave