Re: Port Multipliers

> If you're looking at port multipliers, you need to find PCI-Express
> modules if you want them to be fast. The PCI ones are gonna be very
> slow when you have more than 2 disks per card.

I'm definitely going to use the PCIX/PCIe slots for the Host Adapter.

What I'm wondering is if I use a HBA and Port Multiplier that support
FIS based switching, say a Sil 3124 & 3726, how much of a loss in data
transfer rate can I expect from the RAID array built off the PM as
opposed to each disk plugged in separately?

An example configuration I'm looking at is a Sil3124 4 port HBA with
three of the ports having Sil3726 5to1 PMs attached. Each PM then has
four disks hung off the PM. If I create a RAID5 array for example on
each PM, what sort of speed degradation would I be looking at compared
to making a RAID5 off just the 3124?

--
Drew

--Marie Curie