Re: RAID halting

On 28/04/2009 20:33, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
[...]
 Is it possible, then to use the 1T drives
combined with a like number of 1.5T to create a number (say, 6 or so) of
2.5T LVM volumes and then use mdadm to create a RAID 5 array assembled from
the virtual volumes?

Yes, you could do that, though I think I'd use md to create 6 linear sets, which are then combined into a RAID 5; I imagine md will perform better than LVM for this task.

What I'd be much more inclined to do is create 2 RAID 5 sets, one of 1T discs, and one of 1.5T discs, then combine the two using LVM. It just feels more natural to me that way. In addition, while both setups will tolerate one disc failure, yours will then only tolerate one particular one of the remaining 11 failing (the companion drive in the LVM/linear pair), and mine will tolerate a failure of any drive on the other RAID-5.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

John.