Re: md extension to support booting from raid whole disks.

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 17:28 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Daniel Reurich wrote:
> >>>
> >> Grub is capable of doing that IF THE FIRMWARE CAN REACH IT.
> >
> > Well if the firmware can't find one if the disks, then it doesn't matter
> > what scheme we have.  Even a single disk won't work.
>
> It is *quite* common that firmware can reach a subset of the disks.  If
> not when the system is set up, then when a controller is blown and the
> user has to install a new one.  I have seen this particular malfunction
> up close more times than I can count.

In which case your probably using a hardware raid controller anyway so
not our problem.  Otherwise if the array is broken by a failed
controller we probably shouldn't boot of it anyway.

> > What's your beef. MD already reserve some space for the superblock, and
> > write-intent bitmap (which I believe is also replicated across the
> > member disks), so why not add some space to this to make it possible for
> > a bootloader as well.
>
> My beef is that you're actively promoting an extremely dangerous
> concept, dangerous exactly because it is seductive -- "it seems so
> easy."  Most users, you included, apparently, typically will have no
> notion of the failure modes, and will pick the "easy" option.

What's specifically dangerous about it?  Define the failure modes that
this scheme is unable to either cope with that it should do.

> Booting is ugly business.  I have dealt with the subtleties for almost
> two decades, and it riles me when people go and foist off bad ideas on
> users.

Then stop being so emotive about it and explain the failings of the
scheme rather than point the finger at me and say I don't know.

--
Daniel Reurich

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Ph 021 797 722