Re: Poor write performance with write-intent bitmap?

On 22/04/2009 15:21, Andre Noll wrote:
On 13:41, John Robinson wrote:
Normal shutdown should put the raid in read-only mode as last step. At
least Debian does that. That way even a mounted raid will be clean
after reboot.
Yes, I would have thought it should as well. But I've just looked at CentOS 5's /etc/rc.d/halt and as far as I can see it doesn't try to switch md devices to read-only.

There's no need to do that in the shutdown script as the kernel will
switch all arrays to read-only mode on halt/reboot.

Moreover, as raid arrays are automatically marked clean if no writes
are pending for some small time period, a simple "sync; sleep 1"
at the end of the shutdown script is usually enough to have a clean
array during the next boot.

But that's still only "usually". Considering the enormous efforts taken to unmount filesystems (or remount them read-only) so they're certain to be clean at the next startup, it seems odd to settle for "usually"... and CentOS 5 doesn't even appear to do that.

Goswin, please can you tell me what command Debian uses? I think I want to combine both of these into my systems' halt scripts.

Cheers,

John.