Re: [Patch] mdadm: move mdadm.map file into /dev/md

On Apr 8, 2009, at 2:38 AM, Neil Brown wrote:
On Tuesday April 7, dledford@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I disagree.  At least in our case, the reason that /var/run is a real
directory is not to preserve ownerships (although it does do that as
well), but to preserve security context for SELinux.

Ahhh... well SELinux and I have never seen eye-to-eye either :-)

;-)

I have to say that putting the map file in /dev feels very icky
to me.  It isn't a device, and so doesn't belong in /dev.
If we go around putting things somewhere convenient rather than
where they belong, we quickly end up with a mess.

If that's the case, then all of udev's library data in /dev/.udev
doesn't belong there either. And as much as this may not be a device,
it is in fact device specific in that it maps one device to another.
It really is right along the lines of the data udev stores in .udev,
so I don't see the ickyness.

You don't think that /dev/.udev is icky?

The whole concept of device files was a hack to enable the "everything is a file" semantic. There are so many things I find icky about device files/enumeration in general that I find it very difficult to get uppity about what belongs in /dev...the whole thing is a steaming pile of...

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>

GPG KeyID: CFBFF194
http://people.redhat.com/dledford