Re: [Patch] mdadm: move mdadm.map file into /dev/md

On Tuesday April 7, dledford@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2009, at 5:26 PM, NeilBrown wrote:

> >> Never heard of it.  But, if / is read-only, why wouldn't that also be
> >> read-only?
> >
> > because a tmpfs was mounted there.  It's probably a Debian-specific
> > thing.
> >
> > Why /var/run cannot be mounted from tmpfs nice and early too I don't
> > know..
> > I understand that some people think /var/run needs to persist across
> > reboots to preserve ownership of directories, but they are wrong :-)
> > /var/run should be a tmpfs mount point very early.
>
> I disagree.  At least in our case, the reason that /var/run is a real
> directory is not to preserve ownerships (although it does do that as
> well), but to preserve security context for SELinux.

Ahhh... well SELinux and I have never seen eye-to-eye either :-)

> > I have to say that putting the map file in /dev feels very icky
> > to me.  It isn't a device, and so doesn't belong in /dev.
> > If we go around putting things somewhere convenient rather than
> > where they belong, we quickly end up with a mess.
>
> If that's the case, then all of udev's library data in /dev/.udev
> doesn't belong there either.  And as much as this may not be a device,
> it is in fact device specific in that it maps one device to another.
> It really is right along the lines of the data udev stores in .udev,
> so I don't see the ickyness.

You don't think that /dev/.udev is icky?

> > So while it might be very pragmatic, I am currently dis-inclined
> > to take the patch.   Can you try asking your boot-script people
> > to make /var/run be an early tmpfs ???
>
> I'm betting that this stands 0 chance for F11 anyway, and I'm betting
> it would be a rather long, uphill fight to get them to agree to this
> period.

And thus are poor design decisions entrenched :-(
Of course, figuring out exactly which design decision was the poor one
would not be an easy task.

NeilBrown