Re: Backups using RAID1

2008/11/20 Drew <drew.kay@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> The advantage in RAID1 is that it makes a copy constantly, so it takes
>> no time to create the backup - using other methods (rsync, tape,
>> rdiff-backup) with a huge amount of data, this time can be
>> prohibitive.
>
> That was part of why I was looking at RAID for the backup. I've also
> had a few suggestions about getting an external eSATA drive and
> leaving it plugged in overnight. Just have a cron job do a nightly
> rsync or such and *if* I have to evacuate, hopefully rsync will be
> complete.

Well, I would have thought making your eSATA drive part of the RAID1
array would be plausible....even a good solution.

>> Also, I'd say that plugging/unplugging disks would historically be a
>> problem, but SATA shouldn't be, IMO. Also, there are solutions
>> specifically designed for plugging/unplugging - which makes the point
>> moot - so you might consider one of those.
>
> My SATA controller supports hot plugging so I'm not worried there.

I don't think the controller was the concern, though I could be wrong
- my take was it was more that the connectors might wear out or
something along those lines. Either a removable hard drive chassis or
an external eSATA drive would seem to fit the bill from that point of
view...

Max.