Re: Backups using RAID1

Of course, you could always *not* yank them; instead just fail them
(after unmounting/syncing/whatever) and leave the actual disk in the
machine.

Purists would likely argue this isn't true backup or something, but
backup can be taken to different extremes - it all depends on what
risks you want to protect yourself against.

If you don't care about location-based risks (eg fire), then I don't
see why you would bother removing the drives. Leaving disks in the
machine basically only protects you against 'oops' moments (rm -rf and
such like)., but not much else.

The advantage in RAID1 is that it makes a copy constantly, so it takes
no time to create the backup - using other methods (rsync, tape,
rdiff-backup) with a huge amount of data, this time can be
prohibitive.

Also, I'd say that plugging/unplugging disks would historically be a
problem, but SATA shouldn't be, IMO. Also, there are solutions
specifically designed for plugging/unplugging - which makes the point
moot - so you might consider one of those.

Having saidd that, this is Just my opinion, and I'm no expert...

Max.