Re: RFC - device names and mdadm with some reference to udev.

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:33:36AM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

> Network devices have only one entry point, if you insist you can think
> of the index number as another value, but there is always only one
> single name that matters.

And you have only one (major, minor) pair for block devices. No
difference.

> And we need to rename them because we have
> no real concept  of symlinks for network interfaces.
>
> That is not true at all for block devices, you can identify them in
> many ways, by name, by physical location, by hardware ID from the
> stuff behind the devices, by filesystem metadata, by properies of the
> specific subsystem,

And you can identify network devices by name, physical location,
hardware address, stuff behind the devices (aka. network
autoconfiguration). Again no difference.

> ... Renaming block devices just does not make much
> sense, because there is no primary name to use, it all depends on the
> actual setup and personal preference.

Exactly. And that's why _I_ want to choose the name. The current
udev-based partial solution is not good enough, as even if I give a
meaningful name to a node in /dev the kernel still only tells me "there
is a bad sector on /dev/sdk" and I have to spend precious time to figure
out which device /dev/sdk is. OTOH if I could rename sdk to eg.
self1slot3 then the error message would contain _all_ the information I
need.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
     Laboratory of Parallel and Distributed Systems
     Address   : H-1132 Budapest Victor Hugo u. 18-22. Hungary
     Phone/Fax : +36 1 329-78-64 (secretary)
     W3        : http://www.lpds.sztaki.hu