Re: RFC - device names and mdadm with some reference to udev.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 08:45:35PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:

> I have considered dropping the "/dev/mdXX" names altogether, and I
> think mdadm.2 sometimes does that.  But I've decided against it.
> My reasons are:
>
>  1/ udev is going to create them anyway, so there is no point trying
>     to hide them.
>  2/ those names appear in /proc/mdstat and despite all the rhetoric
>     about naming policy not belonging in the kernel, the kernel does
>     set some naming policy, "mdX" etc are part of that, and we cannot
>     avoid it.
>     Joe Sysadmin will see a name in /proc/mdstat and might want to
>     access that device.  Having it easily available in /dev is good.

Network devices can be renamed and the new name appears under
/proc/net/dev and in /sys. I think the best solution would be to enable
such renaming for block devices too. I don't know how hard it would be
to implement... Naming policy belongs to userspace, but it would be very
nice to tell the kernel "I want to call this device FOO from now. Please
use the string FOO whenever you refer to this device, and don't use any
other names for it".

Gabor