Re: RFC - device names and mdadm with some reference to udev.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 01:18:47PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
 4/ auto-assembly needs to do the right thing on a SAN where multiple
    hosts can each see multiple arrays.  Clearly only one host should
    write to any one array at one time (until I get some
    cluster-awareness going, which I had hoped to work on this year,
    but it doesn't look like I will).
    In this case, I don't think read-auto is enough.  We either need
    to not assemble arrays when aren't known to belong to us, or we
    need to assemble them read-only and require and explicit
    read-write setting.

    So we need some way to know which devices could be visible to
    other hosts.
    I could have a global flag in mdadm.conf "Options SAN"
    I could have a SAN-DEVICES to match "DEVICES", but as just about
    everything is "/dev/sd*" these days, I don't know if that would
    work.

    Any suggestions concerning this would be welcome.

The scariest suggestion, but probably the most complete and automated,
would be to have mdadm do a search on any constituent devices to find
out what the eventual low level driver is.  If it's a fiber channel
driver, or iSCSI, then don't auto assemble.  If it's sata/e-sata, or
local SAS, then it's more likely auto assemble is fine.  But, that level
of mucking around in /sys for each device would probably be quite ugly.

unfortunately this will not work out correctly
1) it is fairly possible for an host to boot from fiber-channel, and to
run md over it (it is a fairly common setup here).
2) scsi supports shared storage, and i believe SAS does too.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.