OT:backup

Hi,

Perhaps not *completely* unrelated, but anyway...

I have an MD RAID1 over two disks - works just fine. This provides
some protection against disk failure.

I am now wondering about protection against stupidity such as 'rm -rf;
oops'. I'm going to ignore other risks (eg fire) for now.

In this vain,  I've bought an external 500GB USB/FW drive and I plan
to use rdiff-backup <http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/> to back up
the contents of the RAID1 to that. I think this buys me some
protection.

My question is - what is the best way to ensure that, in future, I can
easily expand the filesystem on the external drive, so that it is
transparent to the host and doesn't require any copying/etc? My first
thoughts (from experience on MythTv) go to logical volumes - is this
what I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Max.