Re: Raid6 array crashed-- 4-disk failure...(?)

On 19:50, Maarten wrote:
> >While looking at the logs I found a plenty of those:
> >
> >	set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 150 to 43
> >
> >And indeed this machine started to have serious problems with its
> >clock since last weekend. I found it off by 12 hours yesterday and it
> >is still runing much too fast so that ntp is not working any more. I'm
> >currently setting the time with a script in 10min intervals...
> >
> >Were you also seeing such messages during/after the hard disk failures?
>
> Nope, nothing there.
> Strange your clock is so erratic. Maybe the BIOS battery is dead, then
> again I would not be surprised it runs off mains when powered up.

I don't think it's the battery because this machine is only one year
old. Moreover, AFAIK, the battery-powered clock is only used during
system boot and I haven't rebooted the box yet. It's up for 113 days
now with no problems at all until last weekend. So I'd rather guess
it's a software-related problem, perhaps something like an integer
overflow in the timer code.

> >You could use jbod mode (or create single-disk "raid arrays") with
> >Areca or 3ware controllers and use software raid on top of that.
>
> True, but then that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the fairly
> expensive card.

You'd still profit from the battery unit contained in such cards and
the (hopefully) better driver.

> In that case a better investment might be a sort of servergrade
> motherboard which has 6 good onboard controllers and at least two
> separate PCI buses for the add-on cards. (For the price of one 12 port
> Areca you can already buy a bare bones low-range server...).

Well, the box I have troubles with contains such a servergrade board
with 6 onboard SATA controllers ;) Fortunately, we have a couple
of unused 3ware cards lying around, so I prefer to use these in
the future.

Andre
--
The only person who always got his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe