Re: Raid6 array crashed-- 4-disk failure...(?)

On 11:04, Maarten wrote:

> This weekend I promoted my new 6-disk raid6 array to production use and
> was busy copying data to it overnight. The next morning the machine had
> crashed, and the array is down with an (apparent?) 4-disk failure, as
> witnessed by this info:

Believe it or not: The same thing (6-disk raid6, 4 disks failed)
happened also to me during this weekend.

> 4) If it was only a one-drive failure, why did it kill the array ?

As others have already pointed out, this was not a one-drive
failure. In my case, the two SATA disks which are still functional
are connected to a 3ware controller while the four failed disks use
the onboard SATA controller [1]. Therefore I'm confident that this
is just a problem with the onboard SATA chip and that the array can
be assembled again after a reboot. I'll have to wait until the end
of the week to reboot that machine though.

Are you also using an Intel-based SATA chip (please send the output
of lspci -v)?  Also, which kernel version are you using?

> 5) Any insight as to how this happened / can be prevented in future ?

Don't use cheap hardware (Fast, cheap, good. Pick two) ;)

Andre

[1] 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB SATA
Storage Controller AHCI (rev 09)
--
The only person who always got his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe