Re: Device naming and raid1

David Lethe wrote:
> [...]
Thanks much for the reply.  For the purposes of this discussion you can
assume that I've already re-established confidence in the drive, the
cable, and the controller and that the data on the drives is worthless
and I just want to get maximum uptime without causing a raid assemble
problem on the next reboot.

Any idea on my original question?  If I re-add the drive using the
/dev/sdc name will I have problems on the next boot when the drive is
named /dev/sda?

Based on my experience with Linux and other software raid
implementations, I'm strongly inclined to think that the device naming
doesn't matter - the system will scan the drives at boot looking for
raid sets and re-assemble them no matter what major and minor numbers or
device names are.  I'm not opposed to finding out the hard way but I'd
really like to get a definitive answer now because by the time this
system is next rebooted I'll probably have long forgotten about this.

Regards,
--Tony