Re: new bottleneck section in wiki

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 05:56:03PM +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I should have done something else this afternoon, but anyway, I was
> inspired to write up this text for the wiki. Comments welcome.
>
> Keld
> [...]
> Many SATA controllers are on-board and do not use the PCI bus. Anyway
> bandwidth is limited, but it is probably different from motherboard to
> motherboard. On board disk controllers most likely have a bigger
> bandwidth than IO controllers on a 32-bit PCI 33 MHz, 64-bit PCI 66 MHz,
> or PCI-E x1 bus.

Sorry to ask... are you sure the on-board controllers are *not* on the
PCI bus?

They are not physically over the PCI bus, but still connected via the
same upstream-controller, I think, and still limited.

I'm not familiar in this area, but the mainboard diagrams (the ones with
pretty pictures, not electric ones) show that the on-board controllers
'hang' on the same PCI or PCI-E bus as the physical slots.

> RAM sppec may be a bottleneck. Using 32 bit RAM - or using a 32 bit
> operating system may double time spent reading and writing RAM.
>
> CPU usage may be a bottleneck, also combined with slow RAM or only using
> RAM in 32-bit mode.

Sorry, what is "32 bit RAM"? I never heard of this. Do you mean
dual-channel versus single-channel?

thanks!
iustin