RE: Two Drive Failure on RAID-5

-----Original Message-----
From: Ric Wheeler [mailto:ricwheeler@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:43 AM
To: David Lethe
Cc: Keith Roberts; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Two Drive Failure on RAID-5

David Lethe wrote:
> the disk manufacturers stopped making them last year, and stopped R&D
on them way before that.

Different vendors have different strategies around how to market their
various drives - you have archival (think big, slow S-ATA for things
like a Tivo), S-ATA drives that are consumer grade or slightly higher
class drive like SAS (serial attached SCSI) and then the highest quality

drives (Fibre channel).

You can get good results from all classes of drives, but you need to
make sure that you periodically check them pro-actively for errors and
try to repair them in place if possible. Also, make sure you get an
updated kernel so we don't kick out drives that would be otherwise
perfectly reasonable ;-)

ric

============
I must add a caveat to what Ric said.  Disks are designed to withstand
specific duty cycles as well as tolerance for errors and intelligence
when it comes to automated error recovery.

His statement is only valid up to the point your usage doesn't exceed
the workload that a specific disk was designed to tolerate.
Furthermore, the superior server class drives have significantly better
error recovery & management.  As such, they are less prone to having
errors for any given load. Read the specs & programming manuals for
specifics.

So, for any given load, you can purchase disk drives that will actually
generate FEWER errors .. which is a heck of a lot better than having to
pro-actively test & repair and deal with drives that kernels kick out.

That's why the disk manufacturers have 146 GB disks that retail for $150
to $1000 dollars. The difference is not as many have claimed, just the
physical interface.

David