Re: Two Drive Failure on RAID-5

Cry wrote:

Supermicro SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1 Hot-Swapable SATA HDD Enclosure

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M35T-1.cfm

and building a raid-6 array.  I'll convert the surviving drives into a backup
for the primary array.  Any feedback on the above?  Is there a suggestion on an
inexpensive controller to give more SATA ports that is very software raid
compatible?

I've got 5 of those enclosures with Maxtor Maxline-II drives in them. I've had them all running between 3 & 4 years now and I've been *extremely* happy with the enclosures. The whole lot are running on 7 Promise SATA150TX4 cards. So I'd certainly be happy with the enclosures, however I tend to agree with what David said below about going for the higher grade drives. I paid a bit extra for the Maxline-II drives over the desktop grade disks, and I've got 27 of them with about 30,000 hours on them now. One early life failure (in the 1st 5 hours) and one recently replaced as it was growing defects.. but the 26 remaining drives are solid.

Oh, 15 drives are in a RAID-6 and 10 are in a RAID-5. I plan to replace the 10 drive RAID-5 with 10 1TB drives in a RAID-6 in the not to distant future. I did have a dual drive failure on the RAID-6 (not actually drive related, but a software glitch) and having the RAID-6 saved the data nicely.

Brad