Re: Has anyone compared SWRAID for (JBOD@HW-RAID) vs. (Regular Sata PCI-e cards)?

On Sat, 10 May 2008, David Lethe wrote:

You can't generalize whether HW RAID is faster or slower than SW RAID.
I/O mix, CPU speed, bus type, RAM, file system type/config, queue depth, specific RAID card, drivers, firmware all have significant impact. Even with info you supply, one can easily model config where either RAID architecture will outperform the other.

if performance is vital for you on a certain pc config, then tune everything for HW RAID, test, rebuild for SW RAID, and compare.  Don't forget to yank power to a disk while testing both to see how each work under stress, as well as when consistency checks run.

.. What I meant was is JBOD using a single card with 16 ports faster than
using JBOD with multiple PCI-e SATA cards?

Justin.